Tuesday, June 4, 2013

60's Bridgette Bardot Inspired Photo Shoot - Oklahoma Fashion Photographer

Gretchen needed some new looks for her portfolio, so my stylist Jade Gotcher, pulled a look together that was part Bridgette Bardot and Dolce and Gabanna inspired. She wanted it to look 60's yet modern. Jade also did Gretchen's hair and makeup to compliment the clothing by painting a flicked out cat eye liner and a barely there soft lip. When Jade was only 10 years old, she would assist me when I would do hair and makeup for modeling portfolio shoots, adding some lip gloss and a little blush for touch ups on the set. Her experience on those shoots has been well utilized since I became a photographer. I even painted Gretchen's toe nails and finger nails so we could expedite this glam look, that took a few hours!     Before the shoot I looked at Gretchen's portfolio and felt like there were some basic modeling portfolio pictures that she needed. A close up beauty shot and a full length that really showed off her legs. As a model you should have a leg shot in your portfolio, if you don't then you need to get one. When I was a model I booked many well paying jobs because of my photos that showed my legs. I also felt like Gretchen had a lot of dark moody shots and I wanted to add some colorful lively shots to her portfolio as well as shots that did not hide her in the shadows. I chose the Tulsa Rose Garden for Gretchen's beauty shot location because the rose background complimented the floral print bustier. I also wanted more action in her portfolio and my own portfolio as well so Jade showed her how to do a running shot. Gretchen followed instruction well and she was wonderful to work with! The shot with Gretchen sitting on the chair featuring the artwork of Tamara De Lempicka, the famous polish art deco artist, was not something we had planned for the shoot but as Bob Ross would say, a "happy accident". We were walking around downtown and I saw the chairs and asked the bar manager if we could shoot some shots with the chairs. The bar manager was kind enough to indulge our desires and let us do a few shots of Gretchen sitting in the exuberant chairs. When it came time to edit the photos I experimented with split toning editing which can only be accessed in raw editing mode in Photoshop. I also utilized color balance to put some blue in the shadows and gold in the  highlights and mid tones. I wanted these photos to have some extra punch with the tones and am very pleased with the effects. 







No comments:

Post a Comment